Thursday 12 January 2012

A New Reflection



            I found that even after only a bit of research, my interest in the painting has increased. I particularly enjoy reading about Barocci’s influence for the building in the background of the painting. I was already familiar with the story of Aeneas and his family, so having that knowledge allowed me to focus on smaller aspects of the painting that one would not catch upon first glance. For instance, the small figurine that Anchises carries with him, or the soldiers at war in the background of the painting. The revised visual analysis made me look at parts of the painting that I hadn’t considered before like the environment, shapes, and colours used in the painting.  
            I originally chose this painting because of the artist and the subject matter. The artist, Federico Barocci, was from a town in Italy called Urbino in the region of Marche. I was interested in a painter from Urbino because I had been given the opportunity to study in Urbino last summer. Spending a month there, I learned quite a bit about the history and art. Since I enjoy studying Classicism, I was of course drawn to the theme of the painting. After thoroughly analysing the painting, I am drawn to it for a number of other reasons. I found the placement of the figures interesting, particularly the slight separation of Creusa. Also interesting is the architecture in the piece. It is not necessarily something that one would find in ancient Troy, rather Classical architecture with the Renaissance take on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment